Four Processes – Addition
Level (Year) Two & Three
As students explore addition, this unit aims to combine the sequence of learning required to develop the addition concept, while meeting the requirements of AusVELS.The sequence for developing the addition concept is directly from Teaching Primary Mathematics, Booker et al, Pearson, 2010. Both the sequence for developing the addition concept and AusVELS are combined to provide a thorough approach to the teaching of addition.
Included are a range of effective teaching strategies (adapted from Teaching Primary Mathematics, Booker et al, Pearson, 2010) accompanied by iSURF resources to support their implementation.
This unit includes:
• On overview of the concepts and strategies relevant to the development of addition
• Key teaching points
• A Student Progress Record sheet
• Tasks to support the teaching of addition
• Resources to support the teaching of addition
• Identified assessment tasks to support a differentiated teaching approach
There is also room to include your favourite addition tasks and activities that are relevant to the strategies being taught or to practice the addition concept.