I am sure we all have a favourite board game that brings back fond memories!
There are so many to choose from today... I have lost track of how many different versions of Monopoly there are now!
But they all have several things in common, along with many advantages...
- everyone needs to learn (and play by) the rules
- inter-personal skills are developed
- peer teaching is a great way to learn new games
- many games require a great deal of patience
- having a strategic approach can be useful
- games often use a vast range of mathematical skills
- scoring develops additive thinking
- higher order thinking is encouraged
- persistence is a must!
How often do we provide our students with the opportunity to learn and play a new board game??? Something that can be shared with friends and family, a game that will be looked back on fondly in years to come???
Drag a few out of the cupboard and let us know how you go!